I'm Renonys, and here is where I document all my attempts at making period type things

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Three More Sleeps!

Only three sleeps to go! I have now finished all my VIPT, but I'm not going to have time to make a man-cote. I have two whole days, then Wednesday is packing day, which would be a bit of a stretch to get a man-cote and supportive undergarment completely finished. It would involve forty buttonholes, and that's because I only have twenty buttons to go down the front, which really isn't enough. So I'll get some awesome buttons at Pennsic and make it when I get back. I also have another VIPT to get finished. I made a deal with Mister Nathan. I'm gonna make him a pair of chausses and he is going to make me an awesome belt buckle and tip for my plain belt. I am armed with his pattern, some drill, some wadding and some blankety stuff, and I'm gonna try my hand at quilting for the first time!

On Saturday I finished my oopsie surcote. I took an awful picture and did some things to it to try and make it less awful, but it's still awful and the colour is not right. But I'll post it anyway for illustrative purposes.


It looks less awful when it's small, so here's a small picture of me wearing the surcote. Yay! I'm quite pleased with how it came out, it is so much better than my last wool one. I lined the sleeves and tippets with some royal purple silky satiny stuff, and I think they look pretty awesome :)

I had planned to knock out the sleeves on Saturday morning, then spend the rest of the day Cutting Out Nathan's chausses and my man-cote, but my Gran went to hospital on Friday night so I spent most of the day fretting talking to various family members. Saturday night was when I decided I need to take the pressure off myself for these last few days. I'd also like to go to the Stitcher's Corner and get some materials for embroidery. I'm itching to do some more. I reallyreally wanna make this pattern:


It looks so pretty! I was thinking about making a needle case, but there are four different motifs in this pattern and they're quite large, so I probably won't end up finishing more than one whole motif. I really like the pattern so I'd prefer to be able to use the whole thing, so I was thinking of making another pouch, this one can be normal sized. I might even look at doing another tablet woven edge, AND weave a little narrow hanging strap. But I'd still really like a cool needle case, so I might use this pattern:


The colours are pretty awful, so I'll definitely be changing them to something brighter and less brown. I really like how there are motifs that are the same colour as the background, it's just the longer stitches that make them stand out. Wymarc recommends 72 count evenweave for this pattern, and 44 count for the other, but I think I'll use 44 count for both of them. Both of these pattern are a little different to what I've done before. The first is a bunch of little squares making up the motifs, the second doesn't have tesselating motifs. There's motifs but there's a whole bunch of plain background around them, which could be a little boring to stitch.

I'm starting to get REALLY REALLY EXCITED. I went shopping the other day for things like undies and socks and little bottles of shampoo. I bought myself a new reasonably sized toiletries bag, and I've decided that if it doesn't fit in the bag, it's not coming with me. I'm sick of carting around a massive toiletries bag. I always pack my suitcase, then have to squeeze in this giant weirdly shaped bag. No more! Anyway, apart from the actual packing part, I'm pretty much ready for this trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment