I'm Renonys, and here is where I document all my attempts at making period type things

Friday, February 22, 2013

Nearly There

I've counted and recounted and checked the number of motifs multiple times, and I'm pretty confident that I just made it to the three quarter mark :)

I am so close! I've done a huge amount of work, but I can see the end now. I started this project eight weeks ago, and it should only take me a couple more weeks to finish.

My yarn arrived! I've decided to weave the motifs in red and gold, and have a border with a stripe of green and a stripe of purple. I managed to get the same gold, red and purple as the embroidery floss I used, but DMC doesn't make the same green in size 8 cotton. There wasn't much choice, so I just got the closest green that I could. It will still look fine, and I'm pretty happy I could get the rest of the colours. I'll try and warp up my loom at some point next week, but I don't want to start weaving until I have my new shuttlebeater. Mister Nathan offered to make me one for Christmas, and it was just up to me to decide what I wanted. I know I definitely want a beater that is a shuttle as well, and I want it to be made from a dark, hard wood. I really like the functionality of Catherine's, but I want it to be pretty as well as functional. Anyway, I've given him my specifications, and I guess I'll have to wait until he's got a bit of spare time. Hopefully that will be soon :). I don't want to swap beaters part way through the weaving because that could change the band. I definitely had a significant difference between weaving with my old school ruler and Catherine's beater when I was working on my belt.

My linen hasn't arrived yet. I suppose the days of six day shipping from fabric-store.com are long past, which is a shame. Hopefully this order doesn't go missing like the last one. My last day of work was today, and next week is orientation week at uni. I only have to go in on Monday, so I have the rest of the week off. I was hoping to start working on a new cotehardie, so hopefully the linen will arrive early next week. I've decided not to make one in white, because that will mean sewing three cotehardies in four months, and I don't think I want to do that to myself. If my linen doesn't arrive next week then I'll string up my loom and keep working on my embroidery. I might even start constructing the bag, as much as I can do without the front panel anyway. I can't imagine getting much done quickly once uni starts, but I'll try to allocate time every week for sewing. I will also have about four weeks between semester finishing and leaving for Pennsic, so I will have that time to work on last minute things. I don't want an epic rush to get things done though, but it is nice to have that buffer.

No comments:

Post a Comment