I'm Renonys, and here is where I document all my attempts at making period type things

Sunday, March 10, 2013

THOUGHTS

You guys! I finished ALL the lacing holes last night, and I put the cote on this morning AND THEN I HAD A THOUGHT! It's a thought that gives me OPTIONS and now I need to make a CHOICE and it's all so agonising D:

Anyway, here's me in the cote


Yay it fits all good and boobies and stuff :D So the thought that I had was about sleeves. What if I DIDN'T MAKE SLEEVES??? What if I just sew up the armscye and wear it with my chemise just like that? It will be cool and not making sleeves will be awesome because I hate making sleeves. Also I won't need to worry about buttons. But I DUNNO maybe this one should have sleeves and be a proper cotehardie because it's my favourite colour and maybe I want to wear it on not so hot days too. Maybe the green one can be sleeveless. As far as sleeveless being period goes, lookit this picture:


This is from something called the Birth of John The Baptists Turin-Milano prayer book from the early fifteenth century. Apparently there's a few fifteenth century examples of sleeveless kirtles that could still be made of long panels like a cotehardie, without a waist seam. I'm looking specifically at the lady in green at the foot of the bed. I've seen a lot of pictures of fifteenth century kirtles with a seperate skirt and bodice and a round neck and short sleeves that go about halfway to the elbow. This one definitely has no sleeves at all, and a short sleeved chemise underneath, or a chemise with the sleeves pushed up.

Anyway, now I have thoughts and I need to ponder them and make DECISIONS and stuff, which I'm not very good at. I have until I fix up the hem to decide what I'm doing, because sleeves are the next step. I have found some decent looking buttons on ebay that will cost me under $10 for a set of 20, and a mixed set of 30 small and 20 big that will also cost under $10. I think I'll buy both lots because they're cheap and versatile and I need buttons whether or not this particular cote has sleeves or not. I also found 18 more stag buttons which was very exciting, I'll have to put them on something too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment