I'm Renonys, and here is where I document all my attempts at making period type things

Thursday, March 21, 2013

Things

I decided to make sleeves for my cote. They took me an entire week because uni started getting intense and I found myself with less time for sewing. I managed to finish the cote just after midnight last Friday night (or Saturday morning :P), then I got up early on Saturday to spend the day at Perth Medieval Fayre. Here's the one picture that has surfaced of me in the cote:


It's me and Mister Nathan! It's a lovely photo of the two of us looking very elegant and stuff. I stole it from Nancy's facebook album, thanks Nancy! Just ignore the soft drink can that I'm holding. We were waiting for our lunch kebabs to cook, and it was taking ages, and the weather was really hot and sticky, and we'd been there for HOURS and there was tired. But look, boobies! I was really happy with how the cote turned out, it looks good and it was comfortable. I think that may have been the very last outing for my gold ho, because the stitching has come apart in a couple of places and the seam allowance is all frayed as well, so it's not like I could just patch it up. It went through the wash again this week and I really think it's time to say goodbye, which is a shame because I only have four linen hose, so now I only have three. Not a very useful number. I really should dig out those two in the bottom of my basket that just need sewing up, no Cutting Out required.

I spent a little bit of time on my embroidery at the Fayre, because it was something to do, but also the colours and design make it really eye catching whilst still being simple enough to work on and talk to people at the same time. I got a lot of looks of amazement and awe, especially from the lady that asked who had taught me the technique. Mister Mitchell Wymarc taught me from the internet. Also Miss Wendy helped with the bgeinner's stuff like choosing how many plys to use and how to start and finish threads. But the rest of it is pretty much self taught, because it's such a simple technique. The trick is that it LOOKS complicated :P

I haven't done anything at all project-wise this week. Uni is keeping me fairly busy, and I feel like when I'm not in class, I'm either commuting, doing homework or I'm at rehearsal. I get Easter weekend off as well as the following week. I have a couple of assignments to get mostly finished, but the work won't be building up so I should have some downtime to warp up my loom and finish my embroidery or something. My aim for this semester is to have at least one project on the go and spend at least some time each week working on it, even if it's only an hour. That way I can make slow and steady progress on stuff for Pennsic, and hopefully when I get to the end of semester I won't have to cram too much stuff into the three weeks before flying out. I also get two study weeks! TWO! I'm hoping to use the second one to Cut Out my green linen into cotehardie shaped pieces.

Right now I think I deserve a night off, so I'm going to sit in front of the tv with my embroidery, then get an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment