I'm Renonys, and here is where I document all my attempts at making period type things

Friday, November 9, 2012

Finished!

I finished my belt! The last 30cm were the most difficult, and took me an ENTIRE day which I was frustrating, considering most of it was just plain weave with no brocading, but I made it in the end! Yesterday I went out and bought a brass D-ring to use as a buckle, and I just finished sewing it on.

It's really difficult to take a photo of a skinny long thing. My camera doesn't have a panoramic setting, but apparently one of mum's does, so there was a huge kerfuffle while she argued with her technology trying to find the setting. The thing is, she happened across the setting while she was fiddling with the camera trying to take a picture of my sister's art assignment thing about half an hour before I wandered in asking about panoramic things. In the end we couldn't find it, so I just put my belt on the kitchen table and stood on the chairs to try and get the whole thing in. You get a general idea, but here's just the words:

I'm sorry, I'm not very good at picture taking. But yay words! I was pleased in the end with how they turned out.

Whoa my shirt came out all psycodelic, it doesn't look like that in my pictures folder on my computer. Stupid blogger has decided that this particular picture needs to be rotated forwards, so I had to save it rotated backwards so it would end up facing the right way. It also seems to have done weird things to it as well. Anyway, here's me wearing my belt. I was taking pictures of myself in the mirror, and surprise surprise my words are all backwards, so it doesn't matter that it's a bit blurry and weird, because you can't read them anyway! Anyway, here's what the belt looks like when I wear it. As expected, the words are all on my back, but that's ok. In case you didn't notice, I decided to weave extra leaves at intervals at the end of the belt. The whole thing ended up measuring 130cm, which is odd because I'm sure it measured 140 when it was on the loom :P Either it compressed a lot when it was taken off tension, or I just suck at measuring.

I mentioned I had a lot of trouble with the end. I think one reason was because the weaving wasn't in front of me at the front of the loom anymore, I had to reach for it. But what started happening was that the whole band got wider and wider. I noticed because the three middle stripes were getting really wide, but my outside stripes were skinny, but going all wibbly. I measured the width and it was 3.5cm, a whole centimetre wider than I started with. The majority of the weaving actually ended up being about 2.8cm, because it seemed to sit comfortably there once I added the brocade weft. I unwove a whole bunch and struggled to pull it in as I rewove it. I'm not sure why that is, whether it had something to do with being down the other end of the loom or not. The stripes were also quite wibbly, and it was obvious that the very outside cards were the ones being smushed together, while the inside cards seemed to stay the same distance apart. I could only tell this because of the stripes. But there are also bits where it looks like it suddenly gets smaller, but it's only an illusion because the stripes are wibbly. I guess it's just another thing to look into, how the warp behaves. I'm wondering if my other bands have done this and I've just not noticed because the ground weave is all the same colour. It's not just a matter of looking at the twists in each set of four threads, they all look straight, but it's groups of them together, like the ten card on the outside only take up 5mm, but the ten in the middle take up 8mm.

Anyway, I'm going to enter it in the competition, so I better get a move on with my documentation to get it finished in time. I think I might add some extra pages to this blog where I'll put documentation and maybe some photo albums of finished projects, so it's all in one place.

No comments:

Post a Comment