I'm Renonys, and here is where I document all my attempts at making period type things

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Success!

My cotehardie is all in one piece! It even looks dress shaped :D


Tada! I had the outside part technically in one piece by the time I went to bed last night. I was too tired to finish sewing the last ten inches of seam together and then finish it, so I finished that today while I was studying. And by studying I mean watching Atlantis: The Lost Empire. It's all about a linguist and proto-languages, so it must be relevant :P After lunch I started sewing the lining in, but my progress was slowed by SBS airing the Bolshoi's Giselle. I kept finding myself staring at the tv instead of sewing. It took the entire first act just to sew the lining in, then I had to wait until interval to quickly duck into the laundry to iron the seam flat. I sewed the front half seam during the second act :P But anyway, we got there in the end and now I has a dress! The next step will be lacing holes down the front. Unfortunately, I seem to be running out of thread already, and I don't think the rest of the spool will make 36 lacing holes :( I don't go back to work until Tuesday, and Monday is a public holiday so places won't be open, so hopefully I'll find some in Mum's stash of useful sewing-related things. If that fails, then I guess I'll just have to wait until I can get some on Tuesday.

You might notice that I have hung my cote on the end of a clothing rack. This is where my garb lives, and it is behind my bedroom door because I have no more space anywhere else. Anyway, the cote will live there on the front until it is finished, when it will get hung with the other garb. While I was fiddling with the cote for its photo-shoot, I heard a little snorey-purry noise.


Gratuitous kitten photo! He likes to sleep on my Italian chemise. I let him because a) I don't care about my Italian chemise, b) it kept falling off it's hanger anyway, c) it doesn't have a hanger anymore, I ended up using it for something else, d) it stops him from pulling down the garb that I actually like, and finally e) LOOKIT HIM HE'S SO CUTE!

Yesterday was an action packed day. I went to uni to pick up a couple of books at the book shop, and found out that The Broadview Anthology of British Literature is actually called THE MEDIEVAL PERIOD. In big bold letters like that. Printed in teeny weeny print above it is the title I was given on my booklist. That was awesome. Then I had guild sushi that was too cold for my teeth, waaaaaaaah call the wahmbulance. Then I discovered that even though you can go from the causeway to uni by following Riverside Drive all the way along the river until it becomes Mounts Bay Road, if you try to do that in reverse you end up on the freeway south. How have I never known this before? Anyway, eventually I made it across the causeway to the Stitchers Corner where I bought some more purple silk, then I went to Homecraft Textiles to take advantage of their awesome sale! I was meeting Rosie, but I got there about half an hour early and she got there about half an hour late :P So I had an hour to discover all the wool and get very very attached to it, so attached that I had to buy it all! Actually, I only ended up with twelve and a half metres all up.


WOOL PILE! Har har har I'm so hilarious. I'm kind of cheating here because the bottom two are the Melton wool I found at Spotlight the other week, but this is where my wool now lives, on my desk chair. I don't have any other space for it, so I'm just gonna have to make do with just a floordrobe instead of a floordrobe for worn clothes that aren't really dirty enough to be washed, and a chairdrobe for clean clothes. Anyway, at the top is a metre and a half of yellow wool that feels lovely and warm and cuddly and it also feels like it's mostly actual wool. The colour is really growing on me, although I did have plans to dye it a more goldy yellow and bind my cloak with it. Or I could make a ho, or I could make another hood. The burgundy stuff is definitely a blend, but I love the colour. I love burgundy. I bought 7 metres of it, so if I decide to make some sort of gown I will still have enough for small projects like another hood. The bluey coloured stuff looks like it's the same as the yellow, and I'm intending to dye it green and line my cloak with it. It's lovely and soft, so should be fine against my skin. The Melton wool is nice, but it is a tad scratchy which is why I wanted to line the cloak with something. That and I need the extra warm because I'm very bad at holding onto body warmth and I get cold ALL THE TIME. There was another whole bolt of the bluey stuff, and I might have to go back and get it because it's really quite nice wool and I think I could dye it an awesome colour and finally make the awesome wool surcote that I've been pondering for a very long time. This red cote was originally intended to go underneath the awesome wool one, but for now I'll just wear it on it's own with a chemise.

Well, that's where I'm at. All that's left is lacing holes, hemming, and sleeves. I hate sleeves. It also means more Cutting Out, then once that's done, button holes. I'd much rather do lacing holes than button holes, lemme tell you. I should get the whole thing done by the end of this week, then I can look at starting my cloak :D

No comments:

Post a Comment