I'm Renonys, and here is where I document all my attempts at making period type things

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Finished!

I finished my cotehardie! On Tuesday night I finished sewing up the second sleeve, sewed on all the buttons on both sleeves, and even did three button holes before deciding button holes were just stupid and giving up. But I finished them today! Then I took a break from sleeves by finishing the hem, then I went back and attached the sleeves.

 Yay! The sleeves feel like they pinch a bit, but there's no seam where they pinch so I have no idea what's going on there. Usually I make the sleeve holes on the bodice too small so they pinch all the way around, but this time it's different. I tried the thing on before I sewed the lining in just to test it, and I couldn't quite figure out exactly what was wrong, let alone how to fix it. It didn't feel too pinchy, and I have quite a wide range of movement this time so I decided to just leave it. Ugh I hate sleeves so much. It's the attaching part that I am just ridiculously bad at, and it's so fiddly and tedious that I hate having to redo things, which is why I have garb that is perfectly good except the sleeves need to be fixed somehow so I just don't wear it instead.

Anyway, here's a sleeve:


I really like my gold buttons. They look awesome with the red. I got them from All Button Great and Small in Sydney when I was there after Rowany Festival last year. They have some really great buttons for relatively cheap, considering that they're metal and I can get plastic ones here from Homecraft Textiles for the same price. The plastic ones break when you dump your garb on the floor and then step on it. They also lose their paint in the wash.

Overall I'm not terribly happy with the way this cote turned out. When I had it on I thought I looks sort of... frumpy. I dunno, but when I look at myself in it it doesn't seem quite right, but I can't remember if my other cotehardies look the same or not, or what it is exactly that's different. I guess the same thing I was saying about the sleeves applies to the whole dress. It's not quite right, but I can't quite put my finger on what exactly is wrong with it, or how it could be better. I pondered putting my favourite cotehardie on to compare, but it's just too hot and I can't be bothered with all that lacing. I intend to wear it to WAMA fair next Saturday to try it out. I might see if I can get some second opinions, at the same time as testing if it's comfortable to wear for a whole day. Often I make something that seems fine when I chuck it on in my bedroom, but when I actually wear it an an event and do SCA activities and stuff I find it's just not practical or comfortable.

The next thing I'm pondering is a chemise. I want to make another chemise, because one is not enough for an undergarment that I intend to wear next to my skin under multiple outfits. Especially for camping events. What I can't decide is whether to make another short sleeved one exactly like the one I have, and make a proper sleeved shirt to wear under my man cote as well. OR I could make a shirt that has the low neckline so I could wear it under both cotehardies. OR I could make a shirt, and a proper chemise with long sleeves and a longer skirt, not like the short cheat one I have now. The correct answer is MAKE ALL THE THINGS but I'm a little short on linen and also funds to buy more linen. I currently have three metres of reall nice shirt weight white linen. I could potentially make a shirt and a cheat chemise, but I want to use the nice stuff to make brais too. Ugh. I might postpone this decision until after the 30% of everything sale at Spotlight on Monday and Tuesday that hasn't been advertised yet but I know about it because I'm on the inside *taps nose* and I might be able to get some expensive metro linen for not as expensive, or even take a trip out to Cannington to see if they have any special Premium Linen that we had only one bolt of at Innaloo.

Anyway, I'm rambling now. I didn't have my nap today because I took Nigel to visit Murray the Mechanic and I kept getting phone calls about how sick he is, AND I've been up since 7:30am, because I had to take Nigel to visit Murray the Mechanic, AND I was busy with the buttonholes and the sleeves. Also I did some tablet weaving.

I've been working on my Daddy for a while, trying to get him interested in making me a loom, and I think I have succeeded! He went to Bunnings and the Collie Shop to find some Nice Wood in short lengths, but they didn't have any. That took all weekend, but yesterday he visited the Billiard Table Business somewhere near where he works and talked to the boys about wood, and today he brought some home! It's just ordinary pine, but he went to so much trouble to try and find some fancy stuff and couldn't find any short lengths anywhere that I don't mind pine. We'll varnish it up all nice and stuff. I've requested brass screws, but I'm happy to let him do whatever he likes with all the rest, because I'm sure it'll come out looking nice :) Yay loom!

No comments:

Post a Comment