I'm Renonys, and here is where I document all my attempts at making period type things

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

I win!

I won!


On Friday night I was 10cm away from finishing, when my weft snapped three times in a row. It was very frustrating, I wanted to have finished it before dinner so I could warp up my loom for christmas bands. I decided that it was getting too close to the end up the loom, and shifted it forwards as far as I could. WELL it didn't like that, and I couldn't get the tension tight enough after about an hour of trying. I gave up when my fingers started bleeding and sulked off to bed. I was upset because I was so close to finishing and it just wasn't working. Then the stupid string sorted itself out overnight and when I picked it up on Saturday after work it was fine. UGH. Anyway, I finished it and cut it off the loom on Sunday morning, and I'm really happy with how it turned out. There's a line of bubbly bits on the back about a third of the way through the middle where I was having tension issues, but they're on the back so it's fine.

I spent all of last night warping up my loom for Christmas bands! I've hardly done any threaded-in patterns, so I still haven't gotten the hang of the whole S and Z thing. With the stuff I've been doing I've needed alternating S and Z, or blocks of S and Z, or threaded all the same but it hasn't been vital which one is which. Anyway, I stared at my thread and my cards for ages, figuring out which was which, and started threading. Then I got all confused and checked again, and realised they were all backwards. So I rethreaded some cards and kept going. Then I got all confused again and went and got out a picture of the different threadings, and realised all the cards I'd threaded were backwards. UGH. So I just flipped them over and kept going. This means that instead of my cards all facing the left, how I like them, they all face the right. I thought this would be ok, it just means that Santa's feet are on the left of the band instead of the right. John Mullarky threads his cards clockwise and doesn't specify which way they face. In the end it was ok, it just took a bit of fiddling to realise that the A corner has to start at the far top, which it usually does if my cards face the left, but not if they face the right. Anyway, it's working!


My Santas a quite a lot fatter than John Mullarky's, but that's ok, Santa is supposed to be fat. My tension is also working itself out and the third one is skinnier than the first. I think they're cute! Right now I have to go to work, but I have all day tomorrow to weave, so I should zoom through, seeing as it's such a simple pattern in good old #5 cotton.

No comments:

Post a Comment