I'm Renonys, and here is where I document all my attempts at making period type things

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Rowany Festival Recap

Rowany Festival has come and gone for another year. It has inspired me again to do stuff, and this year I'm hoping I can actually ride the wave of inspiration instead of going back to ordinary day to day life.

This year Lady Helen and I were privileged enough to be invited to camp with La Parentiara (or The Family). I really enjoyed being in a camp instead of staying in a dorm, it gave me a place to hang out and relax in company between doing things, and it was nice being part of a small group. We also got to borrow a period round tent, which was awesome. I don't think I could ever go back to camping in a dome tent! The camp setup has inspired me to work on my own setup here in Aneala.

The weather was pretty much perfect, not nearly as cold as I expected, and it only rained on the setup days. The days were sunny and warm enough for me to wear just my linen cotehardies without my wool overdresses (but with leggings and woolly socks and my hood!), and the nights were cold but not stupidly cold like the first year at the Mittagong site. This year I bought a pile of disposable hand warmers for $2 a pair from Priceline and they were pretty awesome. They stayed warm for at least 12 hours and I spent my evenings with one shoved down the back of my dress and another tucked into my shoulder. I was a very happy chappie.

I had a fairly relaxing festival, only made it to a few A&S classes. I did go to a class about period sewing kits which has left me with some things to ponder, and a class about how to sew fur which will be useful for when I make my gollar. I also went to the WCoB meeting which has inspired me to work on getting some of the things I've already made graded. Mostly I just sat and relaxed in good company and caught up with people I only see at Festival.

I've been thinking about going to Canterbury Faire next year instead of Rowany Festival, but ideally I'd like to go to both! I suppose it all depends on finances and whether or not I have a job or leave to take. At this stage my current contract has been extended to Jan 7 2018, so who knows what will happen after that! My wayfaring plans may have to wait until I have a more stable/permanent job, so hopefully that's not too far into the future!

I have lots of thoughts and plans for SCA things, but I'll leave them for my next post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment