I'm Renonys, and here is where I document all my attempts at making period type things

Thursday, April 30, 2015

Half way!

It's been almost exactly a year since I started, and I'm now half way through my embroidery!


Hopefully it won't take another whole year to get it finished. It's fairly tedious and I'm not enjoying it as much as I enjoyed embroidering my awesome bag. I think I'll be avoiding working on 40 count linen for a while. I'd like to start learning different styles of embroidery, and I'm planing on using the WCoB competitions as inspiration, whether or not I end up entering each competition.

In other news, I made a jewellery!


I got the idea from Ceara's star and lily necklace. I like the idea of wearing my awards, and the star and lily pendant is so pretty, but having it on a long braid is just annoying. I bought a string of amethyst beads at Festival for this project, because for some reason I thought the pendant was black and the purple beads caught my eye on market day. When I got them home I put them against the pendant and they really didn't go together, so I ended up buying the blue Swarovski beads when I went to the bead shop to buy findings. I already had the pearls in my bits and pieces box, not sure where they came from though. Also, I've learned just how much is involved in this bead jewellery making business, and I don't think I want to open that can of worms. I used tigertail wire and crimping bead dealies, and kinda failed to pull the loop through on the jump ring end, so there's a loop of tigertail almost the size of the jump ring. I think I managed to put this necklace together with the bare minimum of materials and skill whilst making sure it wasn't likely to break catastrophically. Anyway, I wore it at the Autumn Gathering camping event last weekend. I think it might be a little bit long, but I'm not sure it bothers me enough to do anything about it.

Speaking of Autumn Gathering, it was a totally awesome event! I was in charge of my first ever meal at an event. Luckily it was an easy one, just the soup kitchen on Friday night. I was so scared I was gonna burn the stews, and that I wouldn't have enough, or that I would have waaaay too much, but it turned out pretty much perfect. Sophie and I also put up our big period tent for the weekend. We worked out it hasn't been put up for about two and a half years. I'd forgotten how awesome it is to camp in a giant tent with furniture and stuff. It's well worth the huge amount of stuff to be carried and set up and packed down. We've got plans for improving it, so we've set aside time during May before the ski season starts up again to work on it. It needs to be waterproofed, which is pretty important. Saturday is going to be spent blacksmithing some metal bits to hang from the spokes that we can then hang things from, like garb and lanterns. Curtains are going to happen to divide the tent into sleeping area and really cool party gathering area. We'd like to do things like host parties and A&S classes in the tent. We also need to adjust the socks that the spokes slide into so that they actually sit in the right spot, at the moment they're too high.

Anyway, I had a really cruisy weekend. The event was really relaxed which was nice. I shot two archery shoots which was fun, had a couple of naps in our awesome tent, and generally had fun hanging out with people. I'm looking forward to next year's event!

No comments:

Post a Comment