I'm Renonys, and here is where I document all my attempts at making period type things

Thursday, October 3, 2013

Study Week (Again)

I'm not sure what happened to the time, but last time I posted it was study week and I hadn't done any study. Now it's study week again and I haven't done any study. Actually, this second study week is a cruisy week, since I handed in all my mid-semester assignments last week and nothing else is due for another four weeks. This is the calm before the storm, the storm being my first proper COMPASS assessed clinical practice that begins in two weeks. I'm being sent into a school to spend nine weeks with small children. Lucky me.

Anyway, a lot has happened in the last month, and not just hectic uni stuff. First of all my Gran passed away just after I got back from Pennsic, which was all very sad and stressful times. BUT then we had to go clean out her house, which was full of treasure! Actually, it was mostly junk since she was a bid of a hoarder, but my reward for spending a day sorting through the junk was a basket of treasure!


I got all sorts of useful things like threads, needles and pins. There's also a whole bunch of things like elastic and hooks and eyes which I'm not sure I'll use. I also got a box full of DMC stranded cotton, AND


SILK! Packets and packets of silk! The only downside is that except for the dark blue, there's only one packet of each colour, and a lot of them have been opened so the ends are trailing out. But it's still a whole stash of silk that I'm sure I'll find a use for. I also inherited Gran's sewing machine. It's almost as old as me, but it's been barely used. Gran used to make us dresses when we were little, but most of them were made before Pop died and with the sewing machine she had before this one. Since she moved to Perth 22 years ago she's very rarely used the machine. Every time she got it out she had to call mum for instructions on how to thread the bobbin case because it had been so long since she last got it out. Anyway, now I have my own sewing machine! It's been serviced and cleaned, it's pretty simple and cheap but I'll only need it occasionally and never for anything fancy.

In other news, I finally figured out how to use a warping board! I've asked my dad to make me one, and as soon as he does I'll use it to warp my leaf belt. Although I may need to put some pressure on him. I might go out to his shed tonight when he's pottering around out there, and I'll try to make it myself. If things go to plan then he'll get annoyed by my pitiful attempts at woodworking and he'll take over. Then I shall warp my loom!

Also, I've still been plodding along with my embroidery.


Now I has three corners! I'm really very close. I guess I'll have to start thinking about what I'm going to line it with and what I'm going to use to bind the edges. I want to tablet weave the edges, and I have this idea in my head of a spiral pattern in two colours, but every time I start planning it in my head I get stuck on colours. I don't want to use any of the colours of the embroidery, except white. I think I want white. I just don't know what other colour will complement the colours that are already there. Ideally I'd also like to use threads that I already have, seeing as I'll only need a small amount. I'll have to go digging through my stash.

That's about it from me. I went down south for Championship weekend, and it was COLD, and now I have a cold :(. I really need to fix my green brocade surcote. I wore it anyway because I needed more clothes than just my woolen cote, but I was really quite uncomfortable. The sleeves dig into my arms above my elbows now, which was so uncomfortable. I also started mentally planning a super amazing brocade surcote that may or may not be parti-coloured and will be my fancy one. I need a fancy outfit. Also it seems my wardrobe is green. I need to start making stuff in different colours.

No comments:

Post a Comment