I'm Renonys, and here is where I document all my attempts at making period type things

Thursday, May 23, 2013

Doubleface

Here I am posting from my new tablet, Timothy. We've had some dramaz talking to the sd card on the dock, but I think we have it all sorted now, so hopefully I'll get to post my pictures! Anyway, on Sunday I warped up my loom to make the strap for my awesome bag of awesome! I did a continuous warp, but I had to do it in two lots because I needed to use eight balls of cotton. It also took way longer than I thought it would, as usual. I also ended up just manually threading the eight selvedge cards because it was easier.

On Sunday night I went to Nathan and Catherine's house to watch Eurovision and have snuggles with the puppy, and Mister Nathan finished my shuttlebeater!


I forgot to take a picture before winding my weft on, but you get the idea. YAY SHUTTLEBEATER! I love it very much, and it smells like oranges because Mister Nathan used his special orange flavoured wax stuff :) Thanks Mister Nathan! I took my loom up to visit Spoh on Tuesday night because she's home for two weeks! I realised I couldn't use my embroidery pattern as a weaving pattern, because the embroidery pattern has zigzaggy stitches, and plain doubleface has all the stitches next to each other. Anyway, I fiddled a bit to see how doubleface actually works. Even though I didn't get much done, I understand more about doubleface and I got to do a lot of unweaving too.

Yesterday I used Guntram's Tabletweaving Thingy to draft a pattern. I haven't used the program much except to print off Guntram's threading diagrams and turning sequences, but actually it's really useful. I drew this:


GTT even changes the colours and stuff, and you can set the threading direction and look at how it will look as an actual band. Anyway, I couldn't fit the motifs on the embroidery pattern in the middle, so I decided to just do the diamonds. It still looks nice. I started weaving this yesterday, but I only got a few picks in before I realised that once again my weaving stretches patterns way longer than they should be, so I unwove it and drafted a new pattern.


It looks ugly and squashed, but then I started weaving it


I think it looks pretty awesome. The bottom looks a bit chunky, so I modified the pattern a little when I got to the top and it looks heaps better. I can't be bothered unweaving it and it doesn't bother me too much so I'll just leave it how it is. You might also notice that my picks get smaller as I go along, which is good. It took me ages to tension it but so far I'm not having any trouble.

I'm pretty happy with how it's going, I think it looks great. I haven't decided which side I'll use for the top yet, I guess we'll see how it looks when I'm done :)

No comments:

Post a Comment