I'm Renonys, and here is where I document all my attempts at making period type things

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

One Quarter

I've finished one quarter of my embroidery! I forgot to bring my camera to A&S tonight, so you get a dodgy phone picture :)

Yay what an awful picture. But you get the idea. Only 22.5 more motifs to go and I'll be finished! This week I've also been starting to think seriously about the band I want to weave to make the strap. I've found a place online that sells DMC crochet cotton in all the colours, so I can get an exact match to the embroidery colours. I'm thinking I'll use size 8 cotton because it's fine without being stupidly fine, and I have a feeling that if I try to use size 5 with doubleface weave it'll stretch out a lot. I've counted the stitches in one motif and it's 53 stitches across. From the information I've looked at about doubleface weaving I think I can use the embroidery pattern as a weaving draft as well, with each stitch being two turns of the tablets. But I only have 50 cards, and as well as the motif pattern I'll want a couple of cards on each side as a doubleface border, and another couple as a selvedge. I'll need roughly 60 cards, so I ordered another pack of 25 today from the internet. Last week I also ordered my very own copy of Collingwood, so hopefully that should arrive sometime next week and I can read up a bit more about doubleface and get to actually drafting a pattern and working it all out.

One thing I've been pondering is how I'm going to attach the strap to the bag. The strap is going to be about 3cm wide. I could have it running all the way down the edges of the bag, making a walled bag with tassels in the bottom corners. Or I could make the bag like a big pouch and have the strap coming out from the inside, or attach it to the outside somehow. At this stage I like the idea of a big pouch, even though it gives me less room inside. I can do tassels no matter what I decide. I'm really bad at decisions, so I'm going to leave this one alone for now until I absolutely have to decide :P

1 comment:

  1. Wow that looks so good, I can't wait to see the finished product! :D

    ReplyDelete