I'm Renonys, and here is where I document all my attempts at making period type things

Friday, October 12, 2012

Slighty Sidetracked

My gold thread arrived!






It arrived a few weeks ago, but it was before Championship and I was Very Busy. It's 20 metres, but it doesn't look like that much. I'm feeling a little bit anxious about having enough for my belt.

But I'll think about that later. Championship was two weeks ago and it was awesome! I decided to stay up on Thursday night until the buttonholes on my wool cote were done, because when I left work at 9pm it was bloody freezing and I knew it wasn't gonna be any different on the weekend. I still need to fix the hem and look at the back seam, but I made it wearable, and I did end up getting it out on the Saturday night. I think I got an average of five hours sleep every night, between going to bed after midnight because there were Exciting Things happening by the fire that I didn't want to miss out on, and getting up at 6:30am to have a shower before cooking breakfast. On Monday after we'd packed up and everything was finished, I crashed. I napped at the post revel, then went home and was in bed by 7pm. Tuesday was sort-out-the-baronial-trailer day, and boy was that exhausting. Then I had to go back to real life and face the past two weeks of uni that I'd been ignoring. Except I had an assignment dur on Thursday, and it took me all day Wednesday to turn my brain back on. So by Saturday I had three weeks of uni to catch up on, which I have finally done now!

So now Championship is over and I'm all set with uni, is it time to start weaving my belt? Nope. Bal d'Aneala is on in two weeks, and the other day I remembered that I wanted to enter the A&S competition. This year's theme is flowers. For a long time I've wanted to make an heraldic pouch with tablet woven edges that will actually be a decently sized functional pouch. I love my little German pouch, but it's tiny and not good for much except decoration and carrying around my lip balm. Anyway, here's my device:





You may notice that there is no flower on my device. But there is a leaf! A leaf is sort of a flower, right? Anyway, an ivy flower is kinda ugly


So I'm going to embroider my ivy leaf onto my pouch, and enter it in a flower competition. I should at least get some points for creativity :P You may rememeber that my little German pouch was my first attempt at embroidery. I don't think German Brick Stitch will work for me this time, so I've been teaching myself new stitches!

 
I keep forgetting to pick up my camera battery charger EVERY SINGLE TIME I go home. It's very frustrating. So I'm still taking pictures with my phone and emailing them to myself. What you see about on the far left is my first ever attempt at split stitch. It starts at the top, goes around the curve and then turns into stem stitch. Over on the right across the top is chain stitch, then some more split stitch going down. I think I must be mad trying to teach myself these things. I want to get it done this afternoon so I can thread up some cards and try out this tablet weaving edge thingy, so I can finish this project and get going on my belt, since I have less than a month to finish that. I think I like split stitch the best. Or at least I like the idea of split stitch the best. I'm not sure that I'm practiced enough yet to make it look very neat.

Anyway, I should get back to it. I'm optimistically thinking that it'll all turn out fine in the end. Or I'll end up completely ashamed of it and hide it away and start again another time  :P At least I have plenty of purple wool and gold cotton, it's not like I'm trying something new with expensive materials like real gold thread. That's my other project :P

No comments:

Post a Comment