I'm Renonys, and here is where I document all my attempts at making period type things

Friday, July 20, 2012

Another Dye Fail :(

I put my fabric through the wash again, this time with a packet of blue and half a packet of green. It came out... dun dun dunnnn.... the same colour as before. There is literally no difference whatsoever, it's still a boring as batshit plain light blue colour. [insert impressive swear chain here]. My underdress is crimson red, and if I wear it with this colour I'm guessing it'll come out looking a lot like that time I wore it with my green surcote

Not the best photo, but not the best outfit. In my defence I was wearing the red cote on its own all day, at Rowany Festival, and it suddenly got cold, as it does there, so I just threew on my warmest thing over the top. It was dark, no one was supposed to look too closely :P Anyway, the red is just too bright for the demure green, and I think the same think will happen with this very un-vibrant blue.

So, I was planning to make this fabric into a surcote to wear to the Midwinter feast next Saturday. I could still do that, but it would require a whole new underdress, because I don't think the gold one will go either. I could find a different brand of dye from the nearby shopping centre RIGHT NOW and use the house's washing machine, hoping that I don't somehow wreck it and also that it will have an effect on the colour. OR I could use some maroon wool that I pulled out of my stash and make a surcote from that, and wear it with my gold underdress. I need to go the the shops anyway, so I might see what sort of dye I can find and how much it will cost me, then if that plan fails I'll go with the maroon.

Except... I've just realised I've left my linen at home, the linen I was going to use to line the surcote, and if I use the maroon I'll need some fabric to line the sleeves with.... UGH FAIL

No comments:

Post a Comment